The Board of Education of the Algona Community School District met in regular session on December 10, 2019 in the boardroom. Secretary Cooper called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Directors Bartelt, Davis, Louwagie, Nugent and Owen answered roll call..
Members Absent: Limbaugh and Vinci.
Others Present: Superintendent Carter, Secretary Cooper, Phil Stein, Alan VanOrmer, Kristy Allison and Mike Vandy.
Secretary Cooper reported on the canvas of votes and then swore in the elected board members.
Election of President: Bartelt nominated Rodney Davis to serve as Board President, seconded by Owen. Nugent moved to cease nominations for board president, seconded by Owen. Ayes 5, Nays 0, Carried. Ballots were tallied and Rodney Davis was elected Board President. Secretary Cooper gave the oath of office to Davis and turned the meeting over to the newly elected Board President.
Election of Vice President: Nugent nominated Brent Owen to serve as Vice President, seconded by Louwagie. Bartelt moved to cease nominations for vice president, seconded by Nugent. Ayes 5, Nays 0, Carried. Ballots were tallied and Brent Owen was elected Vice President. Davis gave the oath of office to Owen.
Approve Agenda: Bartelt moved to approve the agenda as posted, seconded by Nugent. Ayes 5, Nays 0, Carried.
Consent Items: Davis audited invoices and found everything to be in order. Owen moved to approve the consent items, seconded by Bartelt. Ayes 5, Nays 0, Carried.
Board Reports: Members of the board shared their experience at the School Board Convention and shared some of the sessions they attended.
- Superintendent Carter congratulated the 2019 Varsity Football Team, Coach Jacobson and staff.
- Winter break will begin with a one hour early dismissal on December 20 and classes will resume on January 6.
- Prairie Lakes AEA Chief, Jeff Herzberg, is resigning at the end of the year and Superintendent Carter has been asked to serve on the focus group and interview team. He will be meeting on January 6 for the focus group and January 27 & 28 for the interviews.
- The Superintendent’s Advisory Council (SAC) has been meeting throughout the first semester. e The Special Ed weighted enrollment for 2019 is very comparable to 2018. This year’s enrollment is slightly higher than last year.
- Mr. Rotert was to give a report to the board but because of the change in the meeting, Mr. Rotert had coaching responsibilities for wrestling so he will present to the board in January.
- Bartelt moved to approve the open enrollment requests for the 2019-20 school year, seconded by Nugent. Ayes 5, Nays 0, Carried.
- Owen moved to approve the Marco Lease Update, seconded by Louwagie. Ayes 5, Nays 0, Carried.
- Nugent moved to approve the request to the School Budget Review Committee for modified supplemental amount and supplemental aid for the 2020-21 Drop Out Prevention Program in the amount of $411,402 for expenditures necessary to implement the 2020-21 At-Risk Dropout Prevention Program as approved by the Algona Community School District Board of Education, seconded by Owen. Ayes: Bartelt, Davis, Louwagie Nugent & Owen. Nays 0, Carried.
- Louwagie moved to approve an out of state trip for the TAG students to attend a show at the Chanhassen Theatre to gain knowledge in theatre, dance and design as well as the culinary arts, seconded by Bartelt. Ayes 5, Nays 0, Carried.
- Owen moved to approve the Iowa Net High Academy Agreement, seconded by Louwagie. Ayes 5, Nays 0, Carried.
- Owen moved to approve authorized signers on all deposit accounts at Iowa State Bank, Farmers State Bank and Northwest Bank to be Superintendent Joe Carter, Secretary Mary Beth Cooper and President Rodney Davis. Anyone other than these names will be taken off the signature cards, seconded by Nugent. Ayes 5, Nays 0, Carried.
- Bartelt moved to appoint Brent Owen as Kossuth County Conference Board Member, seconded by Nugent. Ayes 5, Nays 0, Carried.
- Motion was made by Louwagie, seconded by Bartelt to authorize the district’s administration to submit a request to the School Budget Review Committee in the amount of $163,532.22 for MSA for the purpose of increase in enrollment, open enrolled out students and LEP instruction beyond five years for resident students. Ayes 5, Nays 0, Carried.
- Nugent moved to set the Date & Time of a public hearing for the 2020-21 calendar for January 13, 2020 at 7:00 p.m., seconded by Owen. Ayes 5, Nays 0, Carried.
- Bartelt moved to changed the February Board meeting date from February 10, 2020 to February 17, 2020, seconded by Louwagie. Ayes 5, Nays 0, Carried.
- Owen moved to approve the new contracts of Mike Weier-Sophomore PLC Leader, Holly Waltz-Science Fair Co-Leader, Todd TerHark-Volunteer Coach for Middle School Girls Basketball, Chad Slagle-Head Baseball Coach and Todd VanOtterloo-Head Softball Coach, seconded by Louwagie. Ayes 5, Nays 0, Carried.
- Owen moved to accept the resignation of Julie Collison as 8th Grade Volleyball and 7th Grade Girls Track pending suitable replacement for the 7th Grade Girls Track Coaching position, seconded by Louwaie. Ayes 5, Nays 0, Carried.
No further business. Owen moved to adjourn the meeting at 7:50 p.m., seconded by Bartelt. Ayes 5, Nays 0, Carried.