The Board of Education of the Algona Community School District met in regular session on October 14, 2019 in the Board Room. President Grether called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Directors Bartelt, Davis, Grether, Knudsen, Limbaugh, Nugent and Owen answered roll call.
Others Present:. Superintendent Carter, Secretary Cooper, Jill Schutjer, Jordan Limbaugh, Jack Limbaugh, Mick Schlievert, Brad Heitland, Clark Conner, Phil Stein, Alan VanOrmer, Shelly TerHark, Adam Orban and Brian Wilson.
Approve Agenda: Limbaugh moved to approve the agenda as posted, seconded by Knudsen. Ayes 7, Nays 0, Carried.
Consent Items: Grether audited invoices and found everything to be in order. Davis moved to approve the consent items, seconded by Owen. Ayes 7, Nays 0, Carried.
- Superintendent Carter shared with the Board the amount the Algona CSD has saved by utilizing the AEA Purchasing.
- Superintendent Carter went over Financial Projections for the School District and what needs to be done to keep the District financially healthy.
- Superintendent Carter provided two different Early Retirement Program Models for the Board to think about that would help decrease the District’s expenditures. Owen moved to set a special meeting to go over the Early Retirement Program Models for October 28, 2019 at 7:00 p.m., seconded by Nugent. Ayes 7, Nays 0, Carried.
Communications to the Board: Bruce Knudsen thanked the board and Community for the support he has had while serving on the Algona School Board for the past 11 years.
- Jack and Jordan Limbaugh gave a presentation on a Community Field Turf. They asked for the Board’s support as they moved forward with this project. Knudsen moved to endorse support to the Community Turf Committee as they moved forward with the project, seconded by Davis. Ayes 7, Nays 0, Carried.
- Mrs. Schutjer gave a report on FAST Screening and what the teachers use this information for.
- Superintendent Carter shared the results of the Board Work Session that was held on September 4. One of those results was what the board was Most Proud of in the Algona CSD. b Another result was the Role of the Board and the Role of the Superintendent. c Through the results of a & b, Superintendent Goals for the 2019-2020 school year were established. Owen moved to approve the 2019-2020 Superintendent Goals, seconded by Limbaugh. Ayes 7, Nays 0, Carried.
- Nugent moved to approve the open enrollment requests for the 2019-20 school year, seconded by Davis. Ayes 7, Nays 0, Carried.
- Owen moved to support the Girls Wrestling Club, seconded by Knudsen. Ayes 7, Nays 0, Carried.
- Limbaugh moved to approve the request to the School Budget Review Committee for Modified Supplemental Amount and Supplemental Aid for the 2019-20 Special Education Program deficit of $734,959.85 or as determined by the Iowa Department of Education following DE audit review, seconded by Davis. Ayes 7, Nays 0, Carried.
- Vehicle Insurance Settlment-Informational
- Davis moved to approve the out of state high school vocal trip to St. Louis April 30May3, 2020, seconded by Nugent. Ayes 7, Nays 0, Carried.
- Limbaugh moved to approve the new contracts of Jean Cook-Full Time Custodian; Dave Rich- Part Time High School Band Instructor; Jennifer Marsh-Teacher Associate; Patricia Kuper-Cook’s Assistant; Elizabeth Bradley – Co-Varsity Track Coach; Terri Johnson-Cook; Joseph Flanary-Part Time Custodian; Bobbi Bauer-Teacher Associate; Tony HougeVolunteer Swim Coach, seconded by Bartelt. Ayes 7, Nays 0, Carried.
No further business. Owen moved to adjourn the meeting at 7:40 p.m., seconded by Knudsen. Ayes 7, Nays 0, Carried.