Administrators, as part of the educational leadership in the school district community, represent the views of the school district. Their actions, verbal and nonverbal, reflect the attitude and the beliefs of the school district. Therefore, administrators will conduct themselves professionally and in a manner fitting to their position.
Each administrator will follow the code of ethics stated in this policy. Failure to act in accordance with this code of ethics or in a professional manner, in the judgment of the board, will be grounds for discipline up to, and including, discharge.
The professional school administrator:
- Makes the education and well-being of students the fundamental value of all decision making.
- Fulfills all professional duties with honesty and integrity and always acts in a trustworthy and responsible manner.
- Supports the principle of due process and protects the civil and human rights of all individuals.
- Implements local, state and national laws.
- Advises the school board and implements the board's policies and administrative rules and regulations.
- Pursues appropriate measures to correct those laws, policies, and regulations that are not consistent with sound educational goals or that are not in the best interest of children.
- Avoids using his/her position for personal gain through political, social, religious, economic or other influences.
- Accepts academic degrees or professional certification only from accredited institutions.
- Maintains the standards and seeks to improve the effectiveness of the profession through research and continuing professional development.
- Honors all contracts until fulfillment, release or dissolution mutually agreed upon by all parties.
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for one's own actions and behaviors.
- Commits to serving others above self.
Iowa Code § 279.8 (2013).
282 I.A.C. 13.
Date of Adoption:
June 13, 2016
Date of Review:
February 8, 2021