- A CREED FOR BOARD MEMBERS:
- I will listen.
- I will recognize the integrity of my predecessors and associates and the merits of their work.
- I will be motivated only by a desire to serve the students and the citizens of my area.
- I will recognize that it is my responsibility together with the other Board Members to see that the educational system is properly run - not to run it myself.
- I will work through the administrative employees of the Board and not over or around them.
- I will recognize that Board business may be legally transacted only in open meetings legally called.
- I will inform myself on the proper duties and functions of a Board Member.
- IN PERFORMING THE FUNCTIONS OF A BOARD MEMBER:
- I will deal in terms of general educational policies.
- I will function in meeting the legal responsibility that is mine, as a part of a legislative, policy-forming body.
- I will consider myself a trustee of public education and will attempt to protect and conserve it.
- IN MAINTAINING DESIRABLE RELATIONS WITH OTHER MEMBERS OF THE BOARD:
- I will respect the opinions of others.
- I will give the Superintendent of Schools authority commensurate with his/her responsibility.
- I will expect the schools to be administered by the best trained technical and professional personnel it is possible to procure.
- I will insist that committees be appointed to serve only in an investigating and advisory capacity.
- I will consider unethical and will thus avoid star chamber or secret sessions of Board Members held without presence of the administration.
- IN MEETING MY RESPONSIBILITY TO THE AREA:
- I will attempt to appraise fairly both the present and the future educational needs of the area.
- I will be aware that student needs are not confined to the development of vocational skills and I will support programs with broad educational goals in addition to specialized courses.
- In considering the needs of the students of the area I will not be provincial in my thinking, but will realize that their opportunities will transcend the borders of the area and I will support program offerings accordingly.
- I will attempt to procure adequate financial support for educational facilities and program.
- I will interpret to the Superintendent of Schools as best I can the needs and attitudes of the area.
- I will consider it an important responsibility of the Board to interpret the aims and methods of the educational program and the materials used in them to the people of the area.
- I will insist that business transactions of the organization be on an ethical, open and above-board basis.
- IN WORKING WITH THE EXECUTIVE OFFICER AND HIS/HER STAFF:
- I will hold the Superintendent of Schools responsible for the administration of the schools in accordance with the policies established by the Board.
- I will appoint employees only on the recommendation of the Superintendent of Schools.
- I will participate in Board legislation only after considering the recommendation of the Superintendent and only after the Superintendent has furnished complete information supporting the recommendation.
- I will expect the Superintendent of Schools to keep the Board of Directors adequately informed at all times through both oral and written reports.
- I will expect to spend more time in Board meetings on educational problems and procedures than on business detail.
- I will give the Superintendent of Schools friendly counsel and advice.
- I will refer all complaints to the proper administrative officer or insist that they be presented in writing to the Board as a whole through the Superintendent of Schools.
- I will present any personal criticisms of employees to the Superintendent of Schools.
- I will recognize that authority rests with the Board in legal session - not in individual members of the Board.
- I will make no disparaging remarks in or out of meetings about other members of the Board or their opinions.
- I will recognize that to promise in advance of a meeting how I will vote on any proposition which is to be considered is to close my mind and agree not to think through other facts and points of view which may be presented in the meeting.
- I will make decisions in Board meetings only after all sides of the question have been presented.
- TO COOPERATE WITH OTHER SCHOOL BOARDS:
- I will not help to elect a superintendent, principal, or teacher who is already under contract with another school without first securing assurance from the proper authority that the person can be released from contract.
- I will consider it unethical to bid for the services of a teacher or pursue any procedure calculated to embarrass a neighboring Board or superintendent.
- I will not recommend a teacher for a position in another school unless I would employ said teacher under similar circumstances.
- I will answer all inquiries about the standing and ability of a teacher to the best of my knowledge and judgment, with complete frankness, being careful not to overpraise nor to be unduly critical.
- I will associate myself with school Board members of other districts, both personally and in conferences, for the purpose of discussing school problems and cooperating in the improvement of public school conditions.
(Code of Iowa)
Date of Adoption:
May 12, 1975
Date of Review:
December 14, 2020