The Board of Education of the Algona Community School District met in regular session on September 9, 2019 in the Board Room. President Grether called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m. Directors Bartelt, Davis, Grether, Knudsen, Limbaugh and Nugent answered roll call.
Members Absent: Owen
Others Present: Superintendent Carter, Secretary Cooper, Brad Sudol and Alan VanOrmer.
Approve Agenda: Nugent moved to approve the agenda as posted, seconded by Knudsen. Ayes 6, Nays 0, Carried.
Consent Items: Bartelt will audit invoices on Friday, September 13. Knudsen moved to approve the consent items, seconded by Davis. Ayes 6, Nays 0, Carried.
- Board members were assigned buildings to visit during the school year. Bertha Godfrey – Jay Limbaugh; Bryant – Bruce Knudsen; Lucia Wallace-Brent Owen; Middle School-Rodney Davis & Gloria Bartelt; High School-Tom Nugent & Cheryl Grether.
- Opening Day enrollment figures look good but we will wait for the official count on October 1.
- Staff will have the opportunity to hear fromChris Dorn, an analyst with Safe Havens International. He will focus on learning the roots and causes of school violence.
- On September 18, Supt. Carter will be attending a New Superintendents Conference and on September 19, he will be attending a mentoring meeting, both will take place in Des Moines.
- Mr. Sudol gave an update on the new Elementary Playground Equipment. A big thank you to the community for donating to this project and all the students are loving the new equipment.
- Limbaugh moved to approve the open enrollment requests, seconded by Knudsen. Ayes 6, Nays 0, Carried.
- Davis moved to approve the Career Connect Programs/Courses; Supplemental Agreement, Broadcasting Technology Contract for Services and Automotive Technology Contract for Services for the 2019-20 school year, seconded by Bartelt. Ayes 6, Nays 0, Carried.
- Limbaugh moved to approve the Memorandum of Agreement with Community Health & KRHC, seconded by Nugent. Ayes 6, Nays 0, Carried.
- Knudsen moved to appoint Rodney Davis as IASB Convention Delegate, seconded by Bartelt. Ayes 6, Nays 0, Carried.
- Limbaugh made a motion of support for the Archery Club, seconded by Davis. Ayes 6, Nays 0, Carried.
- Knudsen moved to accept the resignations of Roxanne Page-Custodian, Alexi Weichert-Teacher Associate and Janet Penning-Food Service, seconded by Bartelt. Ayes 6, Nays 0, Carried.
- Davis moved to approve the new contract for Nicole Foertsch-Transportation Associate, Anette Blaha-Polson-Transportation Associate, Michelle Penning-Transportation Associate, Brooke Kramer-Transportation Associate, Jessica Mueller-Transportation Associate, April Karels-Teacher Associate, Colleen Conway-Schiltz-Teacher Associate, Harley Schaffner-Teacher Associate, Ryan King-Assistant Varsity Boys Basketball Coach, Collin Besch-Volunteer Assistant Football Coach and Noah Arrowood-Volunteer Assistant Football Coach, seconded by Knudsen. Ayes 6, Nays 0, Carried.
No further business. Davis moved to adjourn the meeting at 6:30 p.m., seconded by Knudsen. Ayes 6, Nays 0, Carried.